12 January 2009

carry that weight that you can't see



50 years ago today, the prodigal son of Detroit, Berry Gordy founded Motown Records. Gordy dropped out of high school in the eleventh grade to pursue a career as a professional boxer as well as serve in the Army in Korea. Gordy started Tamla records which would become Motown from an $800 loan from his family. Interestingly enough Gordy originally had wanted to call it Tammy Records, after the Debbie Reynolds ballad, but the name had already been taken. Over the past 50 years Motown artists have garnered 110 #1 hits, and Berry Gordy was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990. In honor of the 50th anniversary of Motown:

top 5 Motown Songs

#5 - Papa was a Rolling Stone - the Temptations 1972

As much as I love "Ain't to proud to beg" this is my favorite Temptations song:



#4 - Superstition - Stevie Wonder 1973

top five musical crimes perpetuated by Stevie Wonder in the '80s and '90s. Go. Sub-question: is it in fact unfair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latter day sins, is it better to burn out or fade away?



#3 - War - Edwin Starr 1970

It's a toss up for me between Edwin Starr's version and Jackie Chan's:



#2 - These Eyes - Junior Walker & the Allstars- 1969

I don't know how this wasn't a #1 hit, this song is the truth:



#1 - Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye

This could have just as easily turned into the top 5 greatest Marvin Gaye songs. This is by far my #1 song of all time on any list. No other song gets me to scream "Oh my damn - that's my jam" quicker than this:

No comments: