26 January 2009

I know what I like, and I like what I know

There are few things that I can claim to be an expert on, High Fidelity is one of them. Conservatively, I've watched High Fidelity at least two hundred times. And probably 30 times this month alone. Aside from the fact that I'm slowly becoming Rob Gordon, the thing that I enjoy most about High Fidelity is the fact that I notice somthing new each time I watch it. The soundtrack kicks complete ass, however there are at least another hundred or so songs from the movie that aren't on the soundtrack. With that in mind:

top 5 songs fron High Fidelity (not included on the soundtrack

#5 - Baby Got Going - Liz Phair



"Some people never got over 'Nam or the night their band opened for Nirvana, I guess I never got over Charlie Nicholson"
This is playing as Rob recounts #3 on the top 5 all time break-up list

#4 - Jesus Wants me for a Sunbeam - the Vaselines




"Why'd you have to tell her about the store?"
"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know it was classified information. I mean, I know we don't have any customers, but I thought that was a bad thing, not like, a 'business strategy'"
Playing after Rob, Barry, and Dick buy copies of Marie de Salle's LP following her set at Lounge Acts

#3 - I Can't Stand the Rain - Ann Peebles



"Sorry I didn't know it was pick on the middle aged square guy day"
Playing in the back ground after Barry berates a customer for trying to buy "I just called to say I love you" for his daughter....wait - Is she in a coma?

#2 - My Little Red Book - Love



Only true fans of the film will recall this song's place. It plays over the closing credits after Stevie Wonder's "I Believe (When I Fall In Love It Will Be Forever)" and it is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

#1 - Let's Get it On - Marvin Gaye
This is #1 on my all time desert Island top 5 songs.



Rob, thank you for that kind introduction. We're no longer called Sonic Death Monkey. We're on the verge of becoming Kathleen Turner Overdrive, but just for tonight, we are Barry Jive and his Uptown Five.

This song is actually on the soundtrack but it's a cover by Jack Black. The original is refrenced by Rob quite a few times through out the movie, most importantly when he claims that the record is responsible for Laura and his relationship.

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Did you know you can create short urls with BCVC and make money for every visit to your short links.