08 January 2009

you have no right to ask me how i feel



What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss.

Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?

A weeks ago I thought if a blog post by me led off with a picture of a noose I'd be telling the world about my love for auto-erotic asphyxiation. So it's day seven of the psuedo-mid life crisis, and although I think me calling it a mid-life crisis is a bit tounge-in-cheek, I have been listening to a lot of "sad bastard music" lately. Regardless, I think this will be the last depressing post for a while, since tomorrow is the most important day of the year. Tomorrow's post will be dedicated to someone celebrating a birthday who had an incredible impact on my life - and it is one of my favorite days of the year. But for today I present:

the top 5 most depressing songs


#5 - Last Goodbye - Jeff Buckley

Probably the most upbeat of all these songs and which almost disqualified it, but the lyrics were good enough to land it at number 5


#4 - Lost Cause - Beck

There aren't too many depressing Beck songs - all it takes is one:


#3 - Purple Rain - Prince

Although I don't think making Prince cry would require that great an effort, he does have tears rolling down his face at the end of the movie Purple Rain when he sings this.


#2 - Most of the Time - Bob Dylan

Bob keeps shit real real with this one.


#1 - Another Lonely Day - Ben Harper

This actually takes the top spot because it's a song that depressed some one else other than me. Then I listened too it and it depressed me because it depressed them. I'm not a big Ben Harper fan, but if he keeps penning depressing shit like this I may just become a fan after all.


Artists that were disqualified

On the basis that all of their songs are depressing: the cure, neil young, joy division, elliott smith, the smiths, alice in chains among others

Phil and therefore Genesis were both ommitted due to the fact that their songs are more pain filled than depressing

No comments: