03 August 2009

mozzer monday - frankly, mr. shankly

The perfect song for a Monday morning. Allegedly, a message to the founder of Rough Trade Records, Geoff Travis, disguised as a letter of resignation from an employee to their boss. I'll make sure to include the following line in my next resignation letter:
Frankly, Mr. Shankly, this position I've held, It pays my way and it corrodes my soul


In a June 1986 interview with the NME, Morrissey had this to say about Frankly Mr. Shankly:
"Yes I'm moaning about fame," he repeats caressing his brow with the most melodramatic hands in the history of the stage. "I was reaching for the rubber but I thought, well no, I do want to complain, I do want to moan. Complaining is so unmanly, which is why I do it so well! Yes... fame, fame, fatal fame can play hideous tricks on the brain. It really is so odd, and I think I've said this before - God I suddenly sounded like Roy Hattersly - when one reaches so painfully for something and suddenly it's flooding over one's body, there is pain in the pleasure. Don't get me wrong, I still want it, and I still need it but...Even though you can receive 500 letters from people who will say that the record made me feel completely alive - suddenly doing something remarkably simple like making a candle can seem more intriguing in a perverted sense than writing another song. But what is anything without pain?"

No comments: